July 1999ís block was a Log Cabin Star.
The finished block measures 10 1/2 inches square.
Back to Block of the Month
- Cut one gold fabric and four blue fabric 2 1/2 inch squares.
- Cut two gold and two blue 2 7/8 inch squares (star points)
- Place the gold squares on top of a blue squares, right sides together, cut the layered square diagonally, and sew the four half square triangles together along the diagonal edge. Press seam allowance toward blue fabric.
OR, Place the gold squares on top of a blue squares, right sides together, draw a diagonal line and sew 1/4 inch to each side of the line. Cut along the line you drew and press open.
- Piece the star block together as illustrated; it should measure 6 1/2 inches.
- Use a variety of six 2 inch red and blue strips cutting one strip each of the following lengths: 6 1/2 inches; 8 inches; 8 inches; 9 1/2 inches; 9 1/2 inches; 11 inches.
- Sew a 6 1/2 inch strip to one side of star block, press toward strip. Turn star block a quarter turn to the left.
- Sew an 8 inch strip to the star block, press toward strip.
- Sew an 8 inch strip to the same side of the block as the 6 1/2 inch strip.
- Continue adding the following size strips, making sure the strips are added to only two sides of the block.
- Your completed block will measure eleven inches.
- 10 1/2 inches after sewn into a quilt!