The block for April/May 2006 is the "Fair and Square" block
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Each finished block measures 7 inches square. (7 ½ X 7 ½ inches unfinished)
Select a white-on-white background fabric and three "spring-colored" pastel prints (yellow, pink, peach, mauve, light blue, light green, etc.)
1. From the first pastel fabric, cut four 3-inch squares and one 3 3/8-inch square. Cut
the larger square from one corner to the opposite corner to make two triangles.
2. From the second pastel fabric, cut two 3 3/8-inch squares. Cut the squares from one corner to the opposite corner to make four triangles.
3. From the third pastel fabric, cut one 3 3/8-inch square. Again, cut the square from one corner to the opposite corner to make two triangles.
4. From the
white background fabric, cut four
3 x 5 1/2-inch rectangles.
6. With right sides together and using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew each of the pastel #3 triangles to one of the pastel #2 triangles along the long edges edge. Press toward the pastel #2 side. You will end up with two HST (Half-Square Triangle) squares. Refer to graphic 6.
7. Referring to graphic 7 for positioning, piece together the center square. First sew one of the squares from step #5 to one of the squares from step #6. Repeat with the other two HST squares. Press to the darker side. Then sew these two rows together into a square. Pin at the intersection to ensure the points match as closely as possible. Press.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 10 ½ inches.
Happy Spring everyone!!