The block for February 2006 is a "Heart" block
Each finished block measures 5 inches square. (5 ½ X 5 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics
Select a tone-on-tone dark red print, a red print with white in it, a predominantly white print with red in it, and a white fabric for the background.
1. From the white fabric, cut one 2 1/2-inch square and four 1 1/2-inch squares.
2. From each of the two small-print fabrics,
cut two 1 1/2-inch squares.
3. From the dark fabric, cut two
3 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch rectangles, one
3 1/2 x 1 1/2-inch rectangle, and one 2 1/2 x 1 1/2-inch
5. Sew the smallest dark red rectangle to the right side of the unit from step #4. Press to the dark side. Sew the 3 1/2-inch x 1 1/2-inch rectangle to the bottom of this section. Refer to graphic 5.
6. Take each of the small white squares and draw a line with a pencil from one corner to the opposite corner. With right sides together, lay two squares on the top two corners of a 3 1/2-inch x 2 1/2-inch dark red rectangle. Refer to graphic 6. Sew from one pencil drawn corner to the opposite corner. Trim to 1/4-inch from the edge and press to the dark side. Repeat with the remaining two small, white squares and large red rectangle.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 5 ½ inches.