The block for November 2005 is the "Balkan Puzzle" block
Each finished block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ X 12 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Select two tone-on-tone or looks-like-solid-from-a-distance prints in bright blue and yellow and a white-on-white for the background.
1. From the blue fabric, cut four 3 1/2 x 6 1/2-inch rectangles.
2. From the yellow fabric, cut four 3 1/2 x 6 1/2-inch rectangles.
3. From the white background fabric, cut sixteen 3 1/2-inch squares.
6. The yellow sections are very similar. Lay one of the white squares along one end of one yellow rectangle with right sides together. Sew along the drawn line. Referring to graphic 6, cut the corner 1/4 inch from the sewn line. Press to the yellow side. Repeat with the other three yellow rectangles.
7. Lay another of the white squares along the opposite end of the yellow rectangle. Sew along the drawn line. Referring to graphic 7, cut the corner 1/4-inch from the sewn line. Press to the yellow side.
With right sides together and using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, join one
of each of the sets together. Refer to
graphic 8. You will end up with four matching squares.
(note: to make a sharper point, sew with blue side facing up so
you can see that the seam runs right over the point as you sew them
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 ½ inches.