The block for August 2005 is the
Find a cute "sealife" novelty print that is primarily a sea blue or aquamarine color and has fish or turtles in it. The print should be a medium-sized print. Choose a coordinating light to medium blue "wave" print that is tone-on-tone, and a light gray solid or tone-on-tone for the background.
1. From the "wave" fabric, cut four 3 1/2-inch
2. From the novelty print, cut four 3 7/8-inch sqaures. Cut
these squares from one corner to the opposite corner to make eight triangles.
3. From the background fabric, cut four 3 1/2-inch squares and four 3 7/8-inch sqaures. Cut
the larger squares from one corner to the opposite corner to make eight triangles.
4. With right sides together and using a
1/4-inch seam allowance, sew one of the novelty triangles to one
the gray triangles. (Refer to graphic 4) Press
to the darker side. Repeat with the other seven triangle pairs.
5. Referring to the layout in graphic 5, piece the units together into a finished block. Sew pieces into rows first, then combine the rows to finish the block Pin at the intersection to ensure precise points.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 ½ inches.