The block for May 2005 is the "Simple Flower Pot" block
Each finished block measures 9 inches square. (9 ½ X 9 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Find three different coordinating spring pastel colors (mint green, lavender, baby blue, etc.) that are solid, "looks like solid", or small print. Also choose a white-on-white for the background.
1. From the main basket fabric (lavender in my
example), cut two 4 1/4-inch
2. From the basket center fabric (green in my
example), cut one 4 1/4-inch
3. From the flower material (yellow in my
example), cut one 3 1/8-inch
4. From the background material,
cut one 5 3/8-inch square and one 3 1/8-inch square.
5. Cut two rectangles 2 3/4 inches x 5 inches and one 2 3/4-inch square from the white fabric.
6. Finally, cut one 5 3/4-inch square
from the white background fabric. Cut this square from
corner to corner in both directions to form an X. You will
use 2 of these and throw 2 away.
7. With right sides together and using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew two of the lavender triangles to each side of the green triangle along the short sides. (Refer to graphic 7) Press to the purple side. Then add the third lavender triangle to the green triangle along the long side. Press.
8. Referring to the layout in graphic 8, piece together 1 of the yellow triangles to the small white triangle along the short sides. BE VERY CAREFUL that the triangles are facing the right direction. Then sew one of the short sides of the medium white triangle to the long side of the yellow triangle. Press seams toward the white sides.
9. Referring to the layout in graphic 9, piece together the other yellow triangle to the other medium white triangle--long side to short side. BE VERY CAREFUL that the triangles are facing the right direction. Press seam toward the white side. Finally, sew the small white square to the other short side of the same yellow triangle. Then sew this unit to the one from step 8 so that the yellow points are facing each other. Pin at the intersections before you sew to ensure precise points. Press.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 9 ½ inches.
WASN'T THAT FUN????