The block for April 2005 is the
in the Window"
Find a medium-size, floral print with more than one color in it for the focal fabric. Then choose a small print that coordinates with ONE of the colors in the focal print, and a lighter, pastel shade of the same color in solid or "looks-like-solid" for the background.
1. From the floral fabric cut four 3 1/2-inch squares and four
2. Cut one
2-inch square from
fabric and eight 2 1/2-inch
3. From the lighter material, cut four
2 x 5-inch rectangles and eight
4. With right sides together and using a
1/4-inch seam allowance, sew each of the darker triangles to a lighter
along the long sides. Press to the dark side and TRIM
5. Referring to the layout in graphic 5, piece together 2 of the HST squares with one of the small, floral print squares. BE VERY CAREFUL that the triangles are facing the right direction. The light triangle should face to the right with the floral square on the right side. Repeat three times for a total of four of these sections, one for each corner block. Press seams in the same direction toward the floral square.
6. Referring to the layout in graphic 6, piece together 2 of the HST squares. BE VERY CAREFUL that the triangles are facing the right direction. The light triangles should face to the left. Repeat three times for a total of four of these pairs, one for each corner block. Press seams in the same direction.
7. Sew the pair of HST squares from step 6 to the right side of one of the large floral squares. Press toward the floral square. Then sew a row from step 5 above. Remember to pin at the intersection to ensure that the points match as closely as possible.
8. Using graphic 8 as a reference, assemble the background rectangles, darker 2-inch square, and the units from step 7 into rows. Press. Then sew the rows together to make a finished block.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 10 ½ inches.