The block for December 2004 is the "Old Snowflake" block
Each finished block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ X 12 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose two blues, medium to dark shades, and a white-on-white for the background.
1. Cut one 4 1/2-inch square from the
center blue fabric.
2. Cut four 4 1/2-inch squares & two
5 1/4-inch squares from the other blue fabric.
4. With right sides together, lay one of the
4 1/8 inch white squares along the upper right hand corner of the 4 1/2 inch
blue square. Sew along the pencil line. Cut through both layers
of fabric 1/4 inch to the outside of the sewn line. See graphic 4.
Press to the light fabric.
5. With right sides together, lay another 4 1/8 inch
white square along the lower left hand corner of the 4 1/2 inch blue square.
Sew along the pencil line. Cut through both layers of fabric
1/4 inch to the outside of the sewn line. See graphic 5. Press
to the light fabric. You should now have a corner square. Repeat
for the other 3 corner sections.
6. With right sides together, sew each of the blue triangles to a white triangle along the short side of the triangles using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams to the dark sides. Referring to graphic 6, pair sets of these triangles into 4-triangle squares. Pin at intersection to ensure corners match. Press.
7. Using graphic 7 as a reference, assemble the sections into rows, then assemble rows into a finished block. Again, pin at intersection to ensure corners match.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 ½ inches.