The block for October 2004 i s the "Comforts of Home" block
Each finished block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ X 12 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose four "jewel tone" fabrics (gold, emerald green, sapphire blue, ruby red, turquoise, amythest purple, etc.) that "look like solid from a distance", and a solid black for the background. While your colors will vary from the example given, my instructions will be based on those used in the example. Substitute your colors in the instructions as you need to.
1. From the turquoise material, cut two 3
1/2 inch squares
2. From the purple material, also cut two
3 1/2 inch squares
4. From the red material, cut four 2 1/2
5. From the gold material, cut four 3 1/2
x 6 1/2 inch rectangles
6. To piece the center 9-patch section, layout the
2 1/2 inch squares as shown in graphic 6. With right sides together
and using a 1/4 inch seam, sew the squares together into 3 rows, then sew
the rows together into a block. Press each row after it is pieced. Remember
as you sew the rows together to pin carefully at the intersections to ensure
7. For the side sections, draw a line from corner to corner on the back of each of the black squares. Lay one of the black squares along one end of one gold rectange right sides together. Sew along the drawn line. Referring to graphic 7, cut the corner 1/4 inch from the sewn line. Press open to the gold side.
8. Lay another of the black squares along the opposite end of the gold rectange. Sew along the drawn line. Referring to graphic 8, cut the corner 1/4 inch from the sewn line. Press open to the gold side.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 ½ inches.