The block for M arch 2004 is a pattern called "Goshen Star"
The finished block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ X 12 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose a dark blue tone-on-tone or small print fabric for the star and a white-on-white for the background this will give the quilt a "Delft Blue" look.
1. From the blue fabric, Cut four 3 1/2-inch by 5-inch rectangles and two 5 3/8-inch squares. Cut the two squares in half from one corner to the other.
2. From the white fabric, cut one 3 1/2-inch square
and two 5 3/8-inch squares. Cut the two larger squares in half
from corner to corner. Also, cut sixteen 2-inch squares.
3. With right sides together and using a 1/4-inch seam allowance,
sew each of the blue triangles to a white triangle along the long sides. You
should end up with four blue & white HST squares like those in
4. Take each of the sixteen 2-inch white squares and draw a line from one corner to the opposite corner on the BACK of the fabric. (If you prefer, you can fold them in half from corner to corner and press). Either way, this marks a sewing line on each of the squares. Refering to graphic 4 for placement, lay one 2-inch square, right sides together, on a corner of one of the blue rectangles so that the marked sewing line cuts across the corner of the rectangle. Sew along this marked line. Trim the corner 1/4-inch away from the sewing line (toward the corner). Press seam to the dark side.
5. Repeat step four with the other three corners of the rectangle.
(see graphic 5)
6. Refering to graphic 6, assemble the block by sewing
the pieces together into 3 separate rows first.
THAT'S IT !!!!!