December 2003’s block is a variation of the "Sunlight and Shadow" block pattern
The block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ X 12 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose a floral fabric with a dark background and a white or white-on-white for the background fabric.
1. From the white-on-white background fabric, cut four 3 1/2 inch squares and four 3 7/8 inch squares. Cut each of the four larger squares diagonally to form 8 half-square triangles.
2. From the floral fabric, also cut four 3 1/2 inch squares and four 3 7/8 inch squares. Cut each of the four larger squares diagonally to form 8 half-square triangles.
3. With right sides together, sew the eight floral triangles to the eight white triangles using a 1/4-inch seam allowance. You will end up with eight squares like that in graphic 3.
4. Refering to graphic 4 for placement, sew one white square, one floral square, and two HST squares from step 3 into a row.
5. Do the same for rows 2-4 refering to graphic 5, 6, and
7 for placement.
6. Assemble these four rows into the final block (see graphic
8). Be sure to pin the rows together before sewing, especially
where the corners meet, to ensure crisp corners.