October 2003’s block is the "Beginner's Delight" pattern
The block measures 15 inches square. (15 ½ X 15 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose various fall colors (red, orange, brown, gold, etc.) and a beige or off-white background fabric. They can be solid, "looks like solid", or a small print that looks like the given color from a distance.
1. From the fall fabrics, cut eight 3 7/8 inch squares. The more different fabrics you use, the scrappier it will look. Mark and cut all four squares diagonally to form sixteen triangles.
2. From the off-white fabric, also cut eight 3 7/8 inch squares
and two 5 1/2 inch squares. Cut these in half from corner to
corner like in step #1 (see graphic 2).
3. From a different center fabric, cut two 5 1/2 inch
squares. Cut these in half from corner to corner.
4. With right sides together, sew each of the fall-colored
triangles to an off-white triangle of the same size along the long side
of the triangle using a 1/4" seam allowance. You should end up with
sixteen small half-square triangle sets and four large
half-square triangles. Press seams to the dark sides.
5. Sew five of the smaller half-square triangles together
to form a row like that in graphic 5. Repeat with another set of five
half-square triangles. These rows form the top and bottom rows. Press
the seams in each row in the same direction.
6. Sew the remaining six smaller half-square triangles
into two rows of three each.
7. Take the four larger half-square triangle sets and
TRIM them to 5 inches square. Then sew them together in
a pinwheel fashion. Refer to graphic 7 for placement. Sew the
top two together first, then the bottom two. Then sew these rows together
into a block. Remember to pin the rows together well at the seams to
ensure your corners match up as closely as possible.
8. To assemble the center section, sew the two rows of three
HST squares to either side of the center block. Refer to graphic 8 closely
for placement. The dark triangles should be facing to the outside.
9. Finally, add the top and bottom rows into the final block.
See graphic 9.