August 2003’s block is the "O cean Waves" pattern
The block measures 8 inches square. (8 ½ X 8 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose 5-10 red scrap fabrics. My sample uses 10 different prints, but you may use fewer if that's all you have.
1. From the white-on-white fabric, cut four 2 1/2 inch squares.
2. Also from the white-on-white fabric, cut seven
2 7/8 inch squares. Cut these in half from corner to
corner (see graphic 2).
3. From the red scraps, cut ten 2 7/8 inch squares.
Cut these in half from corner to corner and throw half the triangles
created away or use them for a second block. OPTION: If you
are using fewer scrap colors, you can cut fewer squares. You need
ten half-square triangles when done.
4. With right sides together, sew each of the red triangles to a white triangle along the long side of the triangle using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. You should end up with ten half-square triangle sets. Press seams to the dark sides. (see graphic 4) Also, sew two sets of white triangles together to form two pieced white squares.
5. Sew the squares into four rows and then assemble these four rows into a finished block. Refer to graphics 5 & 6 for placement. Remember to pin the rows together well at the seams to ensure your corners match up as closely as possible.