June 2003’s block is the "Westwind"
The block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ X 12 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose a light blue fabric and a white or white-on-white background fabric.
1. From the blue fabric, cut one 4 1/2 inch square and four 4 7/8 inch squares. Cut each of the four larger squares diagonally to form 8 half-square triangles.
2. From the white fabric, also cut one 4 1/2 inch square and four 4 7/8 inch squares. Cut each of the four larger squares diagonally to form 8 half-square triangles.
3. With right sides together, sew seven of the blue triangles to seven of the white triangles using a 1/4-inch seam allowance. You will end up with seven squares like that in graphic 3. Note: you will end up with an extra blue and an extra white triangle. You can just throw these away.
4. Refering to graphic 4 for placement, sew three of the triangles together into a row.
5. Sew two of the half-square triangle pieces to either side
of the 4-inch blue square. Make sure the blue half of the half-square
triangles is facing the center square. (see graphic 5)
6. Finally, sew the two remaining half-square triangle pieces
together so that the blue sides match. Refer to graphic 6 for placement.
Sew this pair to the white square.
7. Assemble these three rows into the final block. Be
sure to pin the rows together, especially where the corners meet to ensure