May 2003’s block is the "Snail's Trail"
The block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ X 12 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose any purple fabric from lavender to deep purple and a contrasting bright yellow fabric. The fabrics can be solid, tone-on-tone, or a fabric that "looks-like-solid-from-a-distance".
1. From each fabric, cut one 6 7/8 inch square and one 3 7/8 inch square. Cut each square diagonally to form 8 half-square triangles--two of each size and color.
From each fabric, cut one 7 1/4 inch
square. Cut each square diagonally twice to form 8 quarter-square
triangles--four from each color.
2. Cut two 2 5/8 inch squares from each fabric.
3. Refering to graphic 3, sew the two yellow and two purple squares into a four-patch square for the center using a 1/4-inch seam allowance.
4. Refering to graphic 4, sew the smaller half-square triangles to the sides of the four-patch. Start by sewing the purple triangles the sides with a purple square to the left of a yellow square. Sew the yellow triangles to the opposite sides.
5. Using the quarter-square triangles, attach them to the block
created in step 4 in a similar fashion. Start with the purple triangles
sewn to a sides with a small purple triangle to the left of a small yellow
triangle. (graphic 5) Sew the yellow triangles to the opposite
6. Finally, sew the largest triangles to the block in the same way. Again, start with the purple triangles sewn to a sides with a purple triangle to the left of a yelow triangle. (graphic 6)
Are you dizzy yet?