March 2003’s block is the "Friendship Links"
The block measures 15 inches square. (15 ½ X 15 ½ inches unfinished)
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics
Choose a dark green and bright yellow fabric for the links and a white-on-white fabric for the background. The colored fabrics can be print or tone-on-tone but should give a definite green and yellow feel.
1. From the green fabric, cut six 2 5/8 inch squares and four 2 5/8 x 4 3/4 inch rectangles.
2. From the yellow fabric, cut two 2 5/8 inch squares,
two 2 5/8 x 4 3/4 inch rectangles,
4. Also from the
background fabric, cut two 5 3/8 inch squares. Cut each in half
diagonally to make a total of 4 half-square triangles which will be used
in the corners of the block. Then cut one 7 1/4 inch square.
Cut this square into quarters by cutting diagonally twice to make 4
quarter-square triangles to use for the insets.
4. Sew together a yellow rectangle, a green square, and a yellow strip to form a strip like that in graphic 4. Repeat for a second identical strip.
5. Referring to graphic 5, lay out the yellow squares, the three remaining white squares, and the two remaining green squares and sew together to form a multi-colored strip like that in graphic 5.
6. Sew together the three strips from steps 4 & 5 to
make the center, yellow link. (see Graphic 6). Once the link is assemble,
attach the remaining two quarter-square triangles to the ends of the center
section sewing the long end of the triangles to the short ends of the center
7. Finally, refer to graphic 7 to assemble the three sections
into a finished block.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 15 ½ inches. Be sure to leave the seam allowance on the block. DO NOT cut it to the 15-inch finished size -- as the "finished" measurement represents the block size after it is sewn into a quilt top.