February 2003’s block is a "Scrappy Heart"
The block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ X 12 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose a selection of pink and/or red fabric scraps for the heart, mixing lights and darks for contrast.
Then choose an off-white or beige tone-on-tone fabric for the background
1. From each of six different pink and red fabrics, cut one 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 inch rectangle.
2. From the background fabric, cut four 2 1/2 inch squares. Draw a diagonal sewing line on each from corner to corner. Or, press the squares in half diagonally with an iron to make an invisible sewing line (a good tip from Linda).
7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 with the other 7-inch red or pink square to form a half-square triangle like that in graphic 7.
8. Refering to graphic 8, lay out the left side of the heart
and assemble using 1/4-inch seam allowance.
9. Repeat with the fabrics for the right side of the heart. Sew the two halves together to finish the block. Remember to pin the two sides together where each of the seams meet to ensure they line up when you are done.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 ½ inches. Be sure to leave the seam allowance on the block. DO NOT cut it to the 12-inch finished size -- as the "finished" measurement represents the block size after it is sewn into a quilt top.