December 2002ís block is a "Nine-Patch Variation" block
The block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ X 12 ½
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose a large-print Christmas fabric with a scene that will
show nicely in the 4-inch square center block.
Then choose matching solid or small-print, dark green and Christmasy red
fabrics for the background
1. From the Christmas scene fabric, "fussy-cut" one
4 1/2 inch square so that the scene you want to display is centered in the
2. From the green background fabric cut the following:
a. Cut four - 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch rectangles
b. Cut four - 2 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch strips
3. From the red accent fabric cut eight 2 1/2 inch
4. Using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew a red square to
either end of one of the green 2 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch rectangles. Repeat
with one of the other green rectangles so that you have 2 strips that look
like those in graphic 4. Press seams to the green fabric.
5. Sew the remaining two green rectangles lengthwise to
either side of your Christmas scene square. See graphic 5. Press
seams to the green fabric.
6. Lay out the three rows you've created as shown in graphic
6 and sew together to form your center pieced square. Remember to pin
at intersections for clean corners.
7. Sew two of the remaining red squares to either end of
one of the green 2 1/2 x 8 1/2-inch strips. Repeat with one of the
other green strips so that you have 2 strips that look like those in graphic
7. Press seams to the green side.
8. Sew the remaining two green strips to the sides of the
center block. See graphic 8. Press to the green strips.
9. Refering to graphic 9, layout and stitch the rows together.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 ½ x 12 ½
Back to Block of the Month