October 2002’s block is the "Maple Leaf" blockInstructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
This block measures 12 inches square (12 ½ inches unfinished).
Choose a fall-colored tone-on-tone fabric for the leaf, and a cream-colored solid or looks-like-solid fabric for the background.
1. From the cream background material, cut one
4 1/2 inch square.
2. From both the background and colored fabrics, cut two 4 7/8 inch squares. Cut all four squares diagonally to form eight triangles.
4. With right sides together, sew each of the colored triangles to a cream-colored triangle along the long side of the triangles using a 1/4" seam allowance. You should end up with four half-square triangle sets. See graphic 4. Press seams to the dark sides.
5. With right sides together, lay one of the 4 1/8 inch cream-colored squares along the upper right hand corner of the 4 1/2 inch colored square. Sew along the pencil line. Cut through both layers of fabric 1/4 inch to the outside of the sewn line. See graphic 5. Press to the light fabric.
6. With right sides together, lay the other 4 1/8 inch cream-colored square along the lower left hand corner of the 4 1/2 inch colored square. Sew along the pencil line. Cut through both layers of fabric 1/4 inch to the outside of the sewn line. See graphic 6. Press to the light fabric. You should now have a "stem" square.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 ½ inches.