Choose a small-print pastel fabric and solid contrasting fabric
for the heart, and use a white-on-white fabric for the background.
1. From the small-print pastel fabric, cut two 2
inch by 5 inch rectangles and five 2 inch squares.
(see graphic 1)
2. From the solid, contrasting fabric, cut two 2
inch by 5 inch rectangles and four 2 inch squares.
(see graphic 2)
3. From the white background fabric, cut two 2 inch
by 3 1/2 inch rectangles and four 2 inch squares.
(see graphic 3) Mark the wrong side of the white squares with
a diagonal pencil line from one corner to the opposite corner.
4. From the white background fabric, cut two additional
rectangles. Cut one 2 inches by 8 inches and
cut one 2 inches by 9 1/2 inches. (see graphic 4)
1. With right sides together, sew one print 2-inch square
to one solid 2-inch square using a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Press seams
to the solid fabric. Repeat twice making 3 sets total. Refering to
graphic 5, add an alternate 2-inch square to the end of each set making 3
rows of 3 squares. Press seams to the solid fabric. Sew the 3
rows together to form a nine-patch square. (Remember to pin the seams
well before sewing to ensure that points match) Press seams in one
2. Place two white 2-inch squares face down on the ends
of one of the print rectangles. Sew along the pencil diagonal lines.
Refer to graphic 6A. Trim the seam to 1/4-inch seam allowance.
(6B.) Press the white squares open to the print side. (6C) Repeat the
process for a solid rectangle and the remaining two white squares. Press
3. Sew the units from step 2 to the matching print or solid
rectangles along the long sides. Press. Sew the two 2-inch x 3 1/2-inch
white rectangles together. Press.
4. Sew the white square unit from step 3 to the right side
of the print & white unit. Sew the long side of the solid & white
unit from step 3 to the right side of the nine-patch square from step 1.
Refering to graphic 7, sew these two rows together into a heart-shaped
5. Finally, sew the 2-inch x 8-inch strip of white fabric
to the top of the heart. Press.
Sew the 9 1/2-inch strip of white fabric to the right side of the heart.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 9 ½ inches.