The block for May, 2002 is the Garden of Eden.
This block measures 12 inches square. (12 1/2 inches unfinished)
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cottonpre-washed fabrics.
a small-print yellow fabric for the cross, a purple floral print for the
flowers, and a white solid for the background.
1. From the purple fabric, cut one 3 inch square.
2. From the yellow fabric, cut four rectangles 3 inches by 5 1/4 inches.
3. From the purple fabric, cut eight 3 1/4 inch squares.
5. Sew 2 of these squares right sides together along the purple sides with a 1/4" seam allowance. (See graphic 5) Repeat with the other 7 pairs of squares. You will end up with eight "flying geese" sections. Press all pairs to the same side. Sew 2 of these sections right sides together along the purple sides using a 1/4" seam allowance. (pin well to make sure seams match in the center) Repeat with the other 3 pairs of flying geese sections. You will end up with four squares with a purple diamond in the center. (see graphic 5)
6. Refering to graphic 6 assemble the first row by joining
two of the purple-diamond squares to either side of a yellow cross piece
along its long edge. Repeat with the remaining two squares and another
cross piece. Press seams to the yellow sides.
7. Refering to graphic 7 assemble the middle row by joining
two of the yellow cross pieces to either side of the 3 inch purple square
sewing along the short edge of the yellow pieces. Press seams to the
8. Refering to graphic 8 assemble the three rows from steps 6 & 7 into a finished block. Press well.