The block for April, 2002 is Four Patch Chain.
This block measures 12 inches square. (12 1/2 inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
coordinating or contrasting colors from your stash and use bleached, white
muslin for the chain cross.
1. From the background fabric, cut twelve 3 1/2 inch
2. From the coordinating fabric, cut one 2 inch by
18 inch strip.
3. With right sides together, sew the strips along the long side of the rectangle using a 1/4" seam allowance. You should end up with a 2-tone strip 3 1/2 inches by 18 inches. Press to the dark side. Cut the strip at 2 inch intervals to make 8 pairs of squares. There will be a small amount left over which can be discarded.
4. Sew 2 of these sections right sides together with a 1/4" seam allowance. (See graphic 4) Repeat with the other 6 sections. You will end up with four 4-patch squares each 3 1/2 inches square. Press
5. Refering to graphics 5 & 6 assemble the 4-patch squares and the 3 1/2 inch background squares into four larger squares. There will be two of each.
6. Sew the larger squares into two rows and then assemble
these rows into a finished block. Refer to graphic 7 for placement.
Remember to pin the rows together well at the seams to ensure your corners
match up as closely as possible.