The block for January, 2002 is a Winter StarThis block measures 12 inches square. (12 1/2 inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
|Choose two shades of blue. One should be
a medium and the other a dark blue and the other should be a solid looking
color. The background is a white-on-white fabric.
1. From the white fabric, cut four 3 1/2 inch squares and four 3 7/8 inch squares. Cut the larger white squares from one corner to the other to form eight half-square triangles.
2. From each of the blue fabrics, cut four 3 7/8 inch squares.
Cut each blue square from one corner to the other to form eight
half-square triangles in each shade.
3. Match four of the white triangles to four of the medium blue triangles right sides together and sew a 1/4 inch seam along the long sides. Press open to the blue side. You will end up with four medium blue/white squares like that in graphic 3. Do the same with the other four white triangles and four of the dark blue triangles to form four dark blue/white squares. (again see graphic 3)
4. Match the remaining four medium blue triangles to the
remaining four dark blue triangles. Sew along the long sides
and press open to the dark side.
5. Assemble one corner of the finished block by joining one dark
blue/white square to one medium/dark blue square. Join one 3 1/2
inch white square to the medium blue/white square. Sew these two
rows into one 6 1/2 inch square. See graphic 5 for the exact layout.
Repeat for the other three corners of the finished square.
6. You should now have four 6 1/2 inch squares that look like
the one in graphic 6. Assemble these into the finished square.
Refer to graphic 7 for the layout.