December 2001's block is the Amish StarThis block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ inches unfinished).
It was done using the basic black and jewel tones.
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
1. From the jewel-tone fabric, cut one
4 1/2 inch square for the center,
2. From the black fabric, cut four
4 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch rectangles,
3. From the gold fabric, cut eight
2 1/2 inch squares.
4. Sew together the black and jewel-tone triangles using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. You should have eight (8) black/jewel-tone squares. (see graphic 4) Press open to the dark fabric.
5. Sew together one 2 1/2 inch black square to each black/jewel-tone
6. For each of the four gold/black sections, do the following:
7. Repeat with the right side of the black rectangle. Press to the gold sides and you will end up with a gold/black rectangle like in graphic 7.
8. Attach the black side of the gold/black rectangle to the long edge of a jewel-tone rectangle. (see graphic 8)
9. Finally, assemble all the 4 1/2 inch squares into three
rows as shown in graphic 9, and assemble the rows into a finished block.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 1/2 inches.