November 2001's block is the Bear PawThis block measures 9 inches square. (9 ½ inches unfinished).
It was done using a tan tone-on-tone material for the background and rich fall colored fabric (maroon, orange, yellow, gold, rust, or brown) for the paws.
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
1. From the colored fabric, cut one 6 1/2 inch square
2. From the tan fabric, cut two 4 1/4 inch squares
3. Match the two 4 1/4 inch tan squares with the two 4 1/4 inch colored squares, right sides together. Draw a diagonal line on the tan fabric from one corner to the other. Sew a 1/4 inch seam along each side of this line. (see graphic 3)
4. Cut on the drawn diagonal line. You should now have four (4)
half-square triangles. (see graphic 4) Press open to the dark
fabric. Finally, trim the four squares to 3 1/2 inches each.
5. Assemble one row that looks like the one shown in graphic 5 by sewing two of the half-square triangles from step 4 together with the 3 1/2 inch tan square. (Remember to use 1/4 inch seam allowance)
6. Sew the remaining two half-square triangles together. Attach
the long side of this pair to one side of the dark 6 1/2 inch square.
(see graphic 6)
7. Finally, sew the row from step 5 to the top of the row in step
6 to assemble the finished block. (see graphic 7)
Your completed unfinished block will measure 9 1/2 inches.