October 2001's block is the Double Irish Chain.Each block measures 12 1/2 inches square. (13 inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100%
cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Alternate Block Layout
1. Cut four 3 inch square from the white-on-white fabric
2. Match one navy square to one pink square right sides together and sew 1/4 inch seam along one side. Press seam towards the navy side. Do this for eight pairs of navy/pink sets. (see graphic 2) Do the same for four pairs of pink/white squares. (also pictured in graphic 2)
3. Sew two navy/pink sets together matching seams to create four squares like that shown in graphic 3. Press seams.
4. Assemble two rows that look like the one shown in graphic 4 by sewing two of the squares from step 3 to either side of a pink/white set.
5. Assemble one row that looks like the one shown in graphic 5 by sewing two of the pink/white sets from step 2 to either side of one navy square.
6. Assemble these three row into the finished block.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 13 inches.
Instructions for the Alternating Blocks:
1. Cut four 3 inch square from the pink fabric
Assemble the quilt by alternating "X" blocks with these alternate blocks.
Back to Block of the Month