The block for September, 2001 is a Shoo Fly Variation
This block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ inches unfinished).
1. Cut one 4 1/2 inch square from the navy fabric
2. Cut two 4 7/8 inch squares from the navy fabric
3. Cut all the 4 7/8 inch squares from corner to corner forming 8 half-square triangles. Match and sew each white-on-white triangle to a navy triangle using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. You will end up with 4 white/navy squares. (see graphic 3) Press each square to the navy side.
4. Assemble two rows that look like the one shown in graphic 4 by sewing two of the squares from step 3 to either side of a white 4 1/2 inch square.
5. Sew the remaining two 4 1/2 inch white squares to opposite sides of the navy square to form the middle row. (see graphic 5).
6. Assemble these three row into the finished block.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 ½ inches.
Back to Block of the Month