The block for August, 2001 is Clay's Choice.This block measures 12 inches square. (12 ½ inches unfinished). This block also known as Jackson's Star.. This block is done in gold and red. You might be able to use some green sashing in a quilt with these blocks to give it a real "Christmasy" feel.
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
1. Cut four 3 1/2 inch squares from both the beige-on-beige and the gold fabrics.
2. Cut two 3 7/8 inch squares from both the beige-on-beige and the gold fabrics. Cut four 3 7/8 inch squares from the red fabric.
3. Cut all the 3 7/8 inch squares from corner to corner forming 16 half-square triangles.
4. Match and sew each beige triangle to a red triangle to make 4 beige/red squares. Match and sew each gold triangle to a red triangle to make 4 gold/red squares. (see graphic 4) Press each square to the red side.
5. Assemble the block by first sewing together each row and then
sewing the rows together to form a block. (see graphic 5) Tip:
Remember to press each row as it is finished in alternating directions
(L-R and R-L). Carefully pin the rows together at each intersection
Your completed unfinished block will measure 12 ½ inches.